At Serenity Wellness & Counseling, we believe in and practice Integrative wellness with a holistic approach. I recognize that many people may not know what this means, so I’m providing some background and history. The most important thing to know is that Integrative wellness considers all components of an individual’s life: physical, mental, emotional health, and takes into consideration interpersonal relationships.
The field of integrative medicine began back in the 1960s, yet it wasn’t until 1995 that Integrative Wellness became recognized as a direction for modern medicine. Andrew Weil, MD, a visionary physician, and author, is considered “the father” of integrative medicine as a specialty. His ideas about the treatment and care of the whole person integrate scientifically validated therapies of conventional medicine with select practices derived from areas sometimes considered to be complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). From the beginning, Dr. Weil’s’ defining principles of integrative medicine include:
- A partnership between the patient and the practitioner – Integrative medicine values the relationship between practitioner and patient.
- Consideration of all factors that influence health, wellness, disease – including mind, body, and spirit.
- Use of conventional and alternative methods to facilitate the body’s innate healing response. All therapeutic approaches, healthcare professionals and disciplines are considered and made use of to achieve optimal health and healing based on the individual’s needs.
- Appropriate consideration given to use of less-invasive and less-harmful interventions, when possible, while addressing the whole person in addition to the disease.
- The concept that medicine is based on good science, is inquiry-driven and open to critical consideration of new paradigms.
The Brain’s Role In Integrative Wellness
Each year more information about the brain comes to light and the important role it has in health and wellness. Brain health is a critical piece of overall health. It underlies the ability to communicate, make decisions, problem-solve, and live a productive and useful life. Because the brain controls so much of daily function, it is arguably the single most valuable organ in the human body. Mental illness continues to come to the foreground as more celebrities and public figures struggle with the various manifestations of the illness. The stresses of daily living contribute to affect our mental health or lack thereof. The pandemic showed how stress can affect even the most mentally sound people.
Advanced Technologies And Methods
At Serenity Wellness & Counseling we use a wide variety of methods and technologies to help our clients in their healing journey. We work with patients who exhibit post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, ADHD, and more employing some of the most current and advanced treatments including Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), LENS Neurofeedback, Cognitive Therapy. In addition, we employ meditation, yoga, nutritional psychiatry, music therapy, and more.
Anyone who wants to approach healthcare holistically can benefit from the integrative approach we engage in at Serenity Wellness & Counseling. The human body is an amazing self-healing system that benefits from care that is applied depending on the individual needs of each person. If you are ready to feel. Better and begin your healing journey, you can call me at 281-944-SWCC for a free 15-minute phone consultation. I look forward to working with you.